Understanding and implementing master data management (MDM) systems may be a priority for many organizations, but...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
successful MDM implementations involve more than just the right technology. According to Dan Wolfson -- distinguished engineer and chief architect with IBM, and co-author of Enterprise Master Data Management: An SOA Approach to Managing Core Information (2008, IBM Press) -- organizations are wondering: "How do you understand MDM from an architectural perspective -- not just the products that implement MDM, but how the pieces fit together?"
So SearchDataManagement.com spoke with Dan Wolfson to learn more about the relationship between service-oriented architectures (SOAs) and MDM, the role of a "reference architecture" and more.
In this 12-minute podcast, appropriate for business or IT professionals, listeners will:
- Learn more about the relationship between MDM and SOA and what value MDM systems can provide SOAs.
- Find out what many organizations reported about their MDM experiences, which inspired Wolfson and his colleagues to write the book.
- Hear what a "reference architecture" is and its relevance to MDM deployments.
- Learn two reasons why many organizations don't seem to be ready for the MDM technology being offered today.
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the speaker:
Dan Wolfson is an IBM Distinguished Engineer and the chief architect and CTO for the Information Platform and Solutions segment of the IBM Information Management Division of the IBM Software Group. He is responsible for architecture and technical leadership across the rapidly growing areas of information integration, master data management and industry models. Dan's previous roles include CTO for business integration software and chief architect for information integration solutions. Dan has over 20 years of experience in research and commercial distributed computing ranging over transaction and object-oriented systems, software fault tolerance, messaging, information integration, business integration, metadata management and database systems.
More about master data management and service-oriented architecture:
- Read online or download a free .pdf of Chapter 1 from Enterprise Master Data Management: An SOA Approach to Managing Core Information
- Read online or download a free .pdf of a summary of Chapter 2 from Enterprise Master Data Management: An SOA Approach to Managing Core Information
- Learn three master data management trends from Jill Dyché
- Understand data service layers and SOAs
- Do you have feedback about this podcast, or questions about MDM and SOA? Contact the editors at SearchDataManagement.com or ask a master data management expert