Managing data management software and applications rightly attracts significant attention, but there's another side to the data management coin. Just as important as the technology, data management technical staff must also be managed properly to ensure that projects are completed on time and on budget and live up to the expectations of end users.
From maintaining open lines of communication to delegating responsibilities and defining roles, managing technical data management staff is a complex job. To help data management leaders better manage their staff, SearchDataManagement.com recently sat down with Baseline Consulting's Dave Gilbert to get his advice on tackling this important job.
In this 20-minute podcast, appropriate for both business and IT professionals, listeners will:
- Learn the typical roles of the data management team (1:10).
- Understand data management staff's most important responsibilities (3:10).
- Learn how to convey the data management team's value to upper management (6:50).
- Get tips on how to keep technical staff focused amid ever-changing priorities (10:50).
- Find out how to select the right team members for the right job (14:25).
- Gain insight into the biggest challenges in managing a technical data management team (16:50).
- Learn how to measure staff performance against the organization's larger business goals (19:45).
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the speaker: Dave Gilbert manages Baseline Consulting's consulting teams. He has more than 20 years of IT system and data warehouse project management experience, deploying systems for both global 1000 and smaller e-business clients domestically and abroad. He has assembled and led multinational development teams to deliver complex, scalable, analytic technologies.
For more data management staffing news and advice:
This was first published in January 2010