Master data management (MDM) promises to help organizations solve a host of problems caused by inconsistent, incompatible or simply incorrect data. Yet experts and practitioners report that building a business case for MDM can be a challenge. Between calculating the costs of bad data, to securing executive sponsors, to simply explaining the MDM concept to stakeholders, there's a lot that goes into making the case for improved data management. Plus, success isn't guaranteed. Organizations can't just throw money or software at the problem. There are other things to consider, such as data governance and data stewardship.
To sort this all out, and get real, actionable advice for building a business case for MDM, SearchDataManagement.com turned to David Stodder, vice president and research director with San-Mateo, Calif.-based Ventana Research. In this 20-minute podcast, appropriate for both business and technical staff, listeners will:
- Learn how to begin calculating the costs of bad data, often the first step in quantifying the potential value of MDM.
- Hear five common elements of successful MDM business cases and implementations.
- Find out more about the process of building a business case for MDM, such as when, and how, to evaluate MDM technology.
- Listen to Stodder's expert advice about how to measure the success of MDM initiatives.
Get expert advice on how to build a business case for master data management and learn how to
calculate the costs of bad data in a podcast with David Stodder of Ventana Research.
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the speaker: David Stodder is vice president and research director with San-Mateo, Calif.-based Ventana Research. Stodder heads up research practices in the areas of Information Management and IT Performance Management with specialization in Business Intelligence and Analytics. David has for nearly 20 years articulated the next steps in the evolution of information technology toward strategic business applications and services that deliver intelligence throughout organizations. He was the founding chief editor of Intelligent Enterprise, a CMP Technology publication, in 1998 and served as editorial director and editor-in-chief through 2006. His research, writing, analysis and speaking engagements have focused on how business intelligence, performance management, search, information integration, databases, SOA, business rules and process management come together in cutting-edge information architecture.
For more on master data management:
- Learn more about our SearchDataManagement.com Master Data Management Seminar. Attend this free seminar for expert tips, advice and best practices for building a strong business case for MDM.
- Read an article about building a business case for master data management
- Find out what experts say about getting started with master data management
- See why one analyst firm says its "buyer beware" when it comes to purchasing master data management technology
- Check out seven master data management best practices
- Download a free sample chapter about MDM-CDI project implementation guidelines
This was first published in August 2007