While data quality is often an enterprise-wide issue, tackling the problem with targeted deployments -- one department or even one group at a time -- is significantly faster and often results in a quicker return on investment (ROI).
Still, even with tactical data quality projects, enterprise-wide data governance rules and standards must be followed. Otherwise, data silos with data in multiple forms could emerge. Rob Karel, an analyst with Cambridge, Mass.-based Forrester Research, recently spoke with SearchDataManagement.com to offer his advice for identifying tactical data quality targets and how to complete the projects in a matter of days or weeks, not months.
In this 12-minute podcast, appropriate for both business and IT professionals, listeners will:
- Learn just what a tactical data quality project is and how it differs from enterprise-wide data quality initiatives (1:38).
- Get some real-world examples of tactical data quality projects that resulted in demonstrable ROI (3:50).
- Learn how to identify areas ripe for a tactical data quality initiative at your organization (6:15).
- Learn how to go about implementing tactical data quality projects, with a step-by-step hypothetical example (7:35).
- Find out why enterprise-wide data governance rules still must be followed to avoid creating data silos (9:45).
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the speaker: Rob Karel is a Forrester Research principal analyst covering MDM, data quality management, metadata management, data governance and data integration technologies, including ETL and EII. Rob has more than 14 years of data management experience working in both business and IT roles to develop solutions that provide better data quality and increased confidence in and usability of critical enterprise data. Before joining Forrester, he managed Intuit's enterprise data quality initiatives and supported the implementation of Intuit's customer master reference system. Prior to Intuit, Rob managed the design and development of customer master and attribute management solutions for Cisco Systems. Earlier, Rob was research manager for the Global Mergers & Acquisitions product group at what is now Thomson Financial Investment Banking.
For more data quality news and advice:
- Find out how Peachtree Data uses SAP BusinessObjects Data Services to clean up customer data.
- Read about Gartner's latest data quality report on open source data quality software.
- See what experts are forecasting to happen in the data quality, data integration and data governance industry in 2010.
- Find out how the emergence of electronic medical records is putting a renewed emphasis on data quality in the healthcare industry.