Cloud databases are widely available, and data integration and data quality vendors are beginning to offer cloud-based versions of their tools. The big questions: are IT departments ready for cloud data management, and can they actually benefit from moving data storage as well as data integration and data quality functions to the cloud?
This podcast interview with Rick Sherman of Athena IT Solutions assesses the current state and potential future of cloud data management. It also provides expert advice on how to decide whether the cloud approach is right for an organization and how to develop strategies for taking advantage of cloud data management technologies.
In the 20-minute podcast, listeners will hear:
- An overview of the current functionality and maturity of cloud data management tools and whether they’re ready for widespread use (01:24)
- An assessment of how ready and willing IT departments are to move data management functions to the cloud (04:38)
- A discussion of the potential benefits and challenges of cloud data management, including integrating cloud-based technologies with on-premise systems (07:00)
- Tips on how to evaluate whether a cloud-based data management approach is a good fit for an organization (10:16)
- Insight into the future development and adoption of cloud data management technologies (15:10)
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
Learn more about cloud data management technology:
- Read about the risks and rewards of cloud data integration tools
- Find out why analysts and IT pros see clouds on the horizon for data services
- Read how Greenplum and other vendors are trying to bring cloud data warehousing “indoors”
- Learn why SaaS-based data quality and data integration tools are making some headway
About the speaker: Rick Sherman is the founder of Athena IT Solutions, a Stow, Mass.-based firm that provides data warehouse and business intelligence consulting, training and vendor services. In addition to having more than 20 years of experience in the IT business, Sherman is a published author of more than 50 articles, a frequent industry speaker, an Information Management Innovative Solution Awards judge and an expert contributor to both SearchBusinessAnalytics.com and SearchDataManagement.com. He can be found blogging at The Data Doghouse and can be reached at email@example.com.
Discover how Berklee Online has embraced cloud management