Rick Sherman, Athena IT Solutions
Compliance, competitive business requirements and increasing data volumes are driving companies to rethink enterprise data integration strategies. This podcast gives a comprehensive overview of enterprise data integration basics -- including methods, tools and technologies. Expert Rick Sherman explains the "alphabet soup" of data integration technologies, including extract, transform and load (ETL), enterprise application integration (EAI), enterprise information integration (EII) and many more. We'll also discuss how the new trend toward service-oriented architectures (SOAs) and master data management (MDM) affects data integration plans.
Listeners will get a succinct overview of the differences between common and emerging enterprise data integration technologies, and will learn what drives companies to choose one method over another. Rick also offers expert advice and best practices for strategic project planning.
Check out the other podcasts in the data management briefing series, including an overview of customer data integration, featuring Jill Dyche and an introduction to master data management, with David Loshin.
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the featured expert:
Rick Sherman has more than 20 years of business intelligence and data warehousing experience and has worked on more than 50 implementations as an independent consultant and as a director/practice leader at a Big Five accounting firm. Rick is the founder of Athena IT Solutions, a Stow, Mass.-based business intelligence consulting firm specializing in assessment and training services. He is also a regular contributor to SearchDataManagement.com.
- Technology can only solve part of the integration mystery: Do you know the data integration fundamentals? Columnist Rick Sherman warns against the dangers of expecting too much from tools and technology.
- ETL [extract, transform and load] tools transforming: The extract, transform, load (ETL) tools market is transforming and growing to facilitate all kinds of data movement, a study finds. Learn the trends and leaders in the ETL space.
- Data integration joins the on-demand craze: Data integration is evolving as companies migrate to on-demand applications such as Salesforce.com. New tools manage data integration between internal and external applications.
- SearchDataManagement.com glossary: Our editors have gathered definitions from sister site Whatis.com, so you can quickly look up a new term or refresh your memory about an old one.
- Seven master data management best practices: Master data management's early adopters share best practices and potential pitfalls.