Finding a job and establishing a career in any industry is difficult. Getting a job and developing a data management or business intelligence (BI) career is no exception. Between narrowing down career goals, writing or updating a professional resume and acing the interview, there's a lot to think about.
To help clarify processes and quell confusion around data management and BI jobs, SearchDataManagment.com spoke with Deborah Henderson, vice president of DAMA International for Education and Research and president of The DAMA International Foundation. We asked Deborah to explain the inconsistencies around job titles, discuss the state of the data management job market, share job hunting advice, and more.
In this 18-minute podcast, business and IT professionals will:
- Learn where to find the best BI and data management jobs right now.
- Find out why there are so many discrepancies among job titles and how to work around those incongruities.
- Get advice about emerging career paths for data management and BI pros, and hear where education and certifications fit in.
- Learn what not to say in an interview – and what to say to get to the top of the pack.
- Hear best practices for writing and updating professional resumes that reflect the right skills for the job.
About the speaker:
Deborah Henderson (CDMP, BSc, MLS, PMP) is vice president of DAMA International for Education and Research, president of The DAMA International Foundation, and executive sponsor of the DAMA-DMBOK Program. She is also a data management specialist for CapGemini in Toronto, Canada. Deborah's expertise is in data architecture and data governance, master data management (MDM) strategy, project management, data warehousing, executive information systems/decision support systems, metadata repository design, and business requirements analysis. She has an extensive background in information management (process modeling, data modeling and data dictionaries), technical report writing and more. Email Deborah.
Download the podcast Data management and business intelligence jobs: Career advice and insight
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
For more business intelligence and data management job and career resources
- Read an FAQ guide about business intelligence jobs and certifications
- Learn how business intelligence and data architecture jobs are still "hot" despite a weak economy
- Find out how valuable an MBA is to a business intelligence career
- Learn about the various ways to begin a business intelligence career
- Ask the SearchDataManagement.com business intelligence and data warehousing job expert a question about getting started or developing a BI/DW career
This was first published in September 2008